We have a surprise!
Actually, we have a lot of exciting things to share & surprises to look forward to. We also have a lot to be thankful for. It’s been a great year…. Thank you everyone, and we’re looking forward to an even greater, more exciting year ahead.
But first, a little recap of 2016.
– Opening Holiday in the beautiful Kanavaranta neighborhood
– Being part of creating Kortteli with Sandro & Date + Kale Deli
– Opening of Jungle Boy – naturally grown, jungle fresh produce
– The Barcelona and Tokyo Books (don’t forget to order yours)
“creating smiles and special moments”
In May, our holiday guides, Richard McCormick & Ville Relander brought us a buzzing new neighborhood restaurant, bar and terrace, located on the exotic island of Katajanokka. With mentions in Vogue’s Leisure & Travel, Viini, Nordic in-flight mags, numerous blogs and word of mouth, Holiday is one of the most talked about new restaurants in Helsinki.
Kortteli opened its doors on the 5th floor of Kamppi center. With 11 restaurants, it’s the go to place for great food & good vibes. Restaurant Sandro is there, as well as Date + Kale, which was opened together with partner Anni Kravi. @anniskk https://www.facebook.com/dateandkale/
Jungle Boy (Jungle Business Oy)
Jungle Boy is a newly formed, fresh produce and dry goods wholesale company started in 2016, by Sandro co-founders, Richard McCormick & Hicham Mountassir. Jungle Boy’s goal is to supply fresh quality produce and specialty dry goods, to restaurants and consumers in the Helsinki area. Jungle Boy delivers naturally grown produce year round & local / organic fruits, vegetables, herbs and sprouts during the warmer months.
Visit us at: https://www.facebook.com/JungleBoy.fi/
Tokyo & Barcelona Books
It was wonderful to wrap up the Barcelona & Tokyo books & finally see them in print. Many thanks to everyone involved. These two countries & cultures couldn’t be more different, but the things they have in common are; lovely people, cool places to visit & great food. Check out the books, I think you’ll love the photos, stories and delicious recipes.
What’s Happening in 2017
– The formation of Hawaii Group in collaboration with Royal Ravintolat
– New Sandro opening in Ainoa shopping mall located in Tapiola, spreading good food outside beyond Helsinki
– New opening with Ville Relander and Alex Nieminen on the legendary Iso Roba
– Jungle boy supporting local and organic fruits and veggies during summer
A Pleasant Surprise!!
As As announced on Jan. 6, Sandro, The Cock & Holiday are now under the umbrella of the Hawaii Group, headed by Ville Relander & Richard McCormick. Hawaii is a part of Royal Restaurants Ltd owned restaurant group, which includes five established restaurants: The Cock, Holiday Bar, Sandro Kallio, Sandro Kamppi and Sandro Eira. This summer Hawaii Group will open Sandro Tapiola and in collaboration with Alex Nieminen, a new vegetarian restaurant.
You can read more about this here:
Opening soon! Same experience, new neighborhood. Enjoy fresh flavors, lots of love, good food and a laid back atmosphere.
It’s the year of the Veggies 🙂
Yes, it’s finally going to happen!!! Veggies and wild bar. ‘The food will be great, it just happens to be vegetarian’. Richard McCormick, Alex Nieminen and Ville Relander will open an exciting new vegetarian restaurant in Helsinki in the late summer of 2017.
Thoughts and Feelings for 2017
– I’m super happy about the blooming restaurant culture that’s happening here, with all the dedicated chefs and restaurateurs, making Helsinki a great foodie city.
– I’m thankful for all the support for Sandro, The Cock and Holiday. Without everyone’s encouragement & belief, this wouldn’t be happening.
– I’m grateful to be surrounded with such a great & diverse staff, both in the kitchen and in service, who are creating those magical moments night after night.
– And last but not least, I’m also happy to have such strong support from my partner in “oyster” crime, Ville Relander.
I’d like to especially thank Tabasco + Hellman’s Mayonnaise for their collaboration in all the festival and food truck events (Flow Festival + Pori Jazz + Ruis Rock) as well as all of our other friends, partners, suppliers who have been a part of our exciting endeavors and growth this past year.
Helsinki, Thank you! Thank you for opening your hearts & not only welcoming me but embracing a shared vision of an exciting, vibrant & healthy food culture that is transforming this city.
Wishing you all the best in 2017,